Chicken rice soup recipe, a tasty break from noodle soup. Easy to make with a bounty of flavor to wake up your taste buds. It’s made with brown rice. If you haven’t tried this healthy alternative to white rice, you may want to give it a whirl, just this once, and see what you think.
I make this chicken rice soup with brown rice. I am not a health nut, but there is quite a difference in the wellness benefits between brown rice and white rice. Rice has no fat. While white rice is a good source of several vitamins, through milling and polishing, the brown rice, which is what white rice starts out as, becomes white and in the process most of the vitamins have been destroyed. The manufacturer is required to put some of the vitamins back in after milling. However, in comparison to brown rice, white rice is lacking at least 11 other essential vitamins that are held in the unmilled brown rice.
It took a little getting used to the difference in taste between white rice and brown rice, but I have now acquired a taste for it and like it. It has a rather nutty flavor. One of the reasons most of my recipes call for white rice is because it cooks so much faster than brown rice and usually when people cook time is a factor. But this recipe seems to go great with the brown rice.
Brown rice is bountiful in niacin, thiamin, iron, folic acid, selenium, manganese and magnesium to name a few. It is also a critical component of the use of antioxidants in the body.
More Soup Recipes
Chicken Rice Soup Recipe
- 1 tbl butter
- 1 stalk of celery, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cans of chicken broth (14.5 oz) If you use low sodium chicken broth you may need to add salt to the soup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbl fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup v8 of tomato juice
- 2 cups of chicken, cut up
- 1 cup brown rice (cook rice according to package instructions)It takes somewhat longer to cook than white long grain rice.
- Melt butter in a 5qt. pot. Add celery and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
- To the pot add the chicken broth, bay leaf, parsley, tomato juice, chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add cooked brown rice and stir to combine. Heat for another 5 minutes.
- I always serve this soup topped with a little Parmesan cheese and garlic croutons.