If you enjoy cottage cheese (paneer) dishes, you will love this tofu dish. It tastes just like matar paneer, but with much healthier ingredient called tofu.
Tofu is one of the most favorite foods in our household. My 4 yr old loves his tofu, bring it up in any form. During his daycare days, they always made sure to cook something meatless for him, since we don’t eat meat.
On the days, they made tofu, I was told that he would clean up his plate, and ask for more. Which is a rare occurrence, him being a picky eater and all.
This dish can be made many ways, but we mainly make it by shredding or grating the tofu using the grater. Shredding tofu on a box grater gives it a fluffy, light texture, and the smaller pieces readily absorb the flavor from sauted veggies and seasonings.
You can use finely chopped onions if you wish, but I love to use long sliced onions. Cooked on medium high heat, slightly burnt, turned dark brown gives this dish a deep and savory flavor.
This dish can be made with gravy, using lots of tomatoes or drier version like this one, where you do not have to use too many ingredients, and it gets ready in less than 30 minutes. I saw this at my sister in law’s place the first time, and had no idea it would taste that good.
But we have been hooked since then. Whenever we are stuck for what to cook for dinner, this is our go to dish. Try it next time you are stuck for dinner ideas.
Tofu with Peas and Soybeans (Vegan) Recipe
- 1 onions sliced
- 1 cup Tofu shredded
- 1/2 cup Peas
- 1/4 cup Soybeans
- 2 Garlic Cloves grated on a microplane grater
- 1 tbsp Ginger Root fresh, peeled and grated on a microplane grater
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat Olive Oil in in saucer pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds. Stir for about 5 seconds. Add ginger and garlic. Stir for about 10 seconds or until raw flavor of ginger garlic has gone.
- Add sliced onions. Let it cook for about 2 minutes until translucent or light brown. Add salt, turmeric and paprika. Stir for about 10 seconds.
- Add shredded tofu, peas and soybeans to the mix. Mix properly with a wooden spoon so that all the ingredients are mixed really well.
- Cover with lid and cook on low medium heat for about 20 minutes, while stirring every 5 - 7 minutes, so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Enjoy with rice or bread.