I am kind of on a Mediterranean kick. I was feeling like I needed some healthy food in my life and where better to look than with some Mediterranean food. They know what they are talking about.
This hummus makes a great addition to the tabbouleh I mixed up the other day. Like I said before, I took some pitas, dipped it in the hummus, then scooped up some tabbouleh. Yum.
Just a word to the wise though. This recipe does require tahini paste and a food processor, so it is a bit more involved then some of my other recipes. (Who am I kidding? I made croissants!) Anyway, I think most times there are some short cuts you can make in recipes if you don’t have all the ingredients, but don’t do that here. Buy some tahini and dust the cobwebs off your food processor. You won’t be sorry.
Traditional Hummus Recipe
- 1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- juice from 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until you have a smooth paste.
- Place hummus in a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld together.
- Serve with pita wedges or veggies.