Table of Contents
How to make Vegetable & Bacon Chili? Let’s prepare it very simple.
I’m realising a lot of my recipes involve bacon. I should probably point out that Australian bacon is different to American bacon. They both have their allure… Australian bacon is more like ham: less fatty and more meaty. Anyway, this is my favorite winter slow-cooker recipe. You don’t need a slow cooker for this recipe though… it’s just as easy to do in a big saucepan on the stove.
You need a whole heap of veggies, some
Bacon Chili Recipe Ready In 7 Easy Steps
Bacon with most of the fat trimmed off
bacon with most of the fat trimmed off, two cans of beans and a can of diced tomatoes. In addition to what I have here (that green thing on the left is a choko, and behind it is a swede), you really need some capsicums or mild chili peppers, and zucchini is a great idea. Pretty much any veggies though will work. I substituted some roasted red peppers because I didn’t have any capsicums. If you’re not feeding this to young children, you should really add a jalepeno too
Onions & Bacon in a Big Pot
Fry up some bacon and onions. Meanwhile dice up all your other veggies nice and small, and throw them into the slow cooker, except mushrooms (they go in later, if you’re using them). If you’re not using a slow-cooker, just fry the onions & bacon in a big pot, then add all the veggies and everything else.
Bacon Slow Cooker Recipe
Add your bacon/onion mix into the slow cooker with all the other veggies. Throw in your cans of tomatoes & beans. The beans I use are the only pinto beans available in Australia as far as I know. They’re called Mexe-Beans and they have a bit of onion & spices that give it a mexican flavor & mild spice. One can is something like $2.49. If that isn’t enough to stop any Mexican-food-loving Americans from moving to Australia, I can give you a few more reasons later.
If you’re using a can of plain pinto beans or other beans (pretty much any beans will work!), add some spices – garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin etc.
Roasted red peppers are delicious. Eat one on a cracker when you dice them up.
I never go easy on the garlic powder or cumin. I also add a bit of water and some chicken stock cubes.
Stir it all up and let it cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3. Or just simmer on the stove over low heat for an hour or so.
Looking good. Now add your mushrooms if you have them. Then let it cook for 30 minutes or so without the lid – to thicken it a little, if it’s too soupy.
Vegetable Bacon Chili Recipe
- white or yellow onion
- 200 gr trimmed bacon or ham (7 ounces)
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 yellow capsicum
- 200 g mushrooms (about 2 cups diced) (7 ounces)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 fresh jalepeno, seeds removed (or more if you want it spicy)
- 1 can Mexe-beans (pinto) (do not drain)
- 1 can cannellini or other beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp each garlic powder & cumin
- 2 chicken stock cubes and about 3/4c water
- Chop onion and fry with the bacon.
- Meanwhile dice all the other veggies and mix in slow cooker or crockpot.
- Add onion & bacon mixture and the remainder of the ingredients, except mushrooms.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3.
- Add mushrooms; stir through, and cook for another 30 mins to 1 hour.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes without lid, if chili is too soupy.
- Garnish with light sour cream and salsa or hot sauce.