Date Bar Recipe
Date Bar Recipe very yummy.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 24 squares
- 1 8oz package of chopped dates
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 1/2 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
Combine dates and water in saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract. Set aside.
Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl, mix together well. Stir in butter. Spread 2 cups of mixture in bottom of 9-inch square baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Press mixture firmly into baking dish. Spread with date filling. Combine walnuts with remaining oat mixture. Sprinkle over filling and pat firmly onto filling. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on rack. Cut into 24 squares.