This sweet potato fries recipe is made more delectable by toppping them with different spice combinations.
Sweet potatoes, yams, what is the difference?? Both are angrosperms, which means “flowering plants”. That’s really where the similarities end. They are botanically from different families of flowering plants.
Yams are related to the lily family. They are native to Africa and Asia. Yams are starchier than sweet potatoes, which are a member of the morning glory family.
There are many varieties of sweet potatoes. The many different species either stay firm whe cooked or become soft when cooked. Industry labeling began to call the firm sweet potatoes by their name, sweet potatoes. The soft sweet potatoes were called yams.
In the US, unless you specificallly search for yams, which are usually found in international markets, you are most likelly eating sweet potatoes. Which is OK, because, of the two, the sweet potato is probably the more nutritious.
Sweet potatoes are very high in vitamin A (beta carotene). 1/2 cup of sweet potatoes contains 350 times the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A. They are good sources of vitamin C, iron, calcium and fiber. They contain no fat. Sweet potatoes also contain, among others, vitamins K, E and B6.
Sweet potatoes, as with most tubers, contain high carbs. However, sweet potatoes are slow burning carbs or complex carbohydrates which help in combatting spikes in blood sugar levels of diabetics.
Table of Contents
SWEET POTATO FRIES RECIPE
- 2 large sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 tbl canola oil
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Cover a large baking sheet with foil. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Scrub potatoes well. Cut potatoes lenghtwise into half inch sticks.
- Place fries in a bowl of ice water for about 12 minutes. This will help rinse out the starch in the sweet potatoes. Remove potatoes from the water promptly so as not to let them get soggy. Dry well with paper towel.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush all sides of the sweet potato sticks with the oil. Place them on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake at 375° for about 1 hour or until crisp and golden brown, turning 2 or 3 times during cooking. Sprinkle immediately with salt as they come out of the oven.