Table of Contents
This zucchini soup recipe is light and quite delightfully good. When people think of zucchini, they seem to turn their noses up. But zucchini is a very healthy vegetable that can be prepared in a number of different ways that are pleasing to the taste. (acutually, it is botanically considered a immature fruit, but we won’t get technical here).
From deep fried zucchini to sauted zucchini in butter, to this flavorful zucchini soup recipe, squash is a very versatile food.
When I was a young girl my Mother used to saute zucchini and sprinkle them with parmesan cheese for a side dish at dinner. I would always look at them and say ugh! One evening I was clearing the table after dinner and one of the zucchini she had made that night was left on the plate. I was so lazy, instead of walking all the way to the trash can in the kitchen, I just ate the zucchini. I thought it tasted great with the parmesan cheese. After that night, I always would fill my plate with the fried zucchini. I’m not sure what my parents thought.
Often, we are all guilty of just looking at a food and turning up our noses at it because of the way it looks. We haven’t ever tasted it, but we don’t have to, we just know we don’t like it. Sometime, you have to give things a chance. I learned that from my sister. She will give any food a try. When we go out to eat she will sometimes order something that I have never tasted and it will look like something I may not like. She will say, “taste it.” I will and I will usually end up liking it.
I used to dislike curry. I don’t even know why. I had never had it, but for some reason, I didn’t like it. Then I ordered a poached fish one time at a Thai restaurant. It was really delicious. I asked the waitress what made this fish taste so good. She said it was the curry. Live and learn.
There is also, on this site, a great fried zucchini recipe with a tasty dill dip. I hope you will try it.
I hope you will give this zucchini soup a try and see how good healthy can be.
More Soup Recipes
Zucchini Soup Recipe
- 1 tbl butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 medium zucchini sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp thyme leaves, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp basil leave, crumbled
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 cup milk (fat free milk will work fine in this soup)
- Heat butter and olive oil over medium heat in a 6qt stock pot. Add onions, zucchini, potatoes, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, and basil. Saute for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, salt and pepper. Stir and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove pot from heat. Puree mixture in a blender, filling the blender only 1/2 full, each time, with the hot mixture. Return mixture to pot. Add milk and heat. Serve topped with some finely chopped green onions or scallions.
cook time: 15 minutes
1 lb Italian sausage (hot or mild)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can beef broth
1 tsp dried basil
2 medium zucchini, unpeeled and cut into 1/4 inch
1 can Italian whole or chopped tomatoes in liquid
1 can garbanzo beans, drainedDirections:
1. Brown sausage and onion in 3qt sauce pan for 8 to 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.2. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.3. Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese if desired.I know your family will be delighted with either zucchini soup recipe.